Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Time for a change?

President Obama??? It will definitely take me a while to get use to that. Time for a change? I agree with this statement but I am not sure that I agree with all of the changes that he is ready to make. I was very conflicted during these last few months and during this election year actually. There were so many things to be worried about and so many BIG issues that were being tossed back and forth. The BIG issue that was most concerning to me and hit close to home was the issue of gay-marriage. Now... most people would sit back and say that the reason that this was an issue for me was because I am a religious person.. oh, even LDS.. and then figure that was what I was voting with. But in actuality not really. I have a very open mind and I vote with my own mind and my own heart. There are things that people do behind closed doors and as long as they don't hurt others than I don't really care. I don't care if they get married, I don't care if they have the health insurance or the benefits as other married couples do but then there are things that I do care about.... I care that we as parents would be forced to have our children learn that that is a lifestyle that HAS to be accepted. I care that our children would be forced to attend gay weddings during school outings. I care that this would affect me becoming a parent at all. This has a huge impact on the adoption community and many do not know that at all.

"Due to the current status of California, adoption.com and parentprofiles.com have already been under attack. They lost the legal battle and now their services are not available to California couples hoping to adopt or birth parents hoping to place in California. To read about that from the Family Equality Council click here. At a National Board meeting for the Families Supporting Adoption. prop 8 came up. It would be very near impossible for LDSFS to continue in the adoption world had Prop 8 passed. Already in Massachusetts, LDSFS is getting pressure to close its doors as they do not offer services to homosexual couples. You may be thinking, "well, LDSFS doesn't offer services to heterosexual couples who are not active members of the Church." That is true and that is under attack as well. Here is what you need to know about prop 8 from an adoption standpoint: Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic Charities in Boston already closed its doors in Massachusetts (after 100 years of practice) because courts legalized same-sex marriage there. "

With the outcome of yesterday's vote and the YES ON PROP 8... there was some good news for me and my family. We have hope!

"Voters put a stop to same-sex marriage in California, dealing a crushing defeat to gay-rights activists in a state they hoped would be a vanguard and putting in doubt as many as 18,000 same-sex marriages conducted since a court ruling made them legal this year.

The gay-rights movement had a rough election elsewhere as well Tuesday. Amendments to ban gay marriage were approved in Arizona and Florida, and Arkansas voters approved a measure banning unmarried couples from serving as adoptive or foster parents. "

One day we will be a family. We will be together. I will support the president. I am excited that we have a new chapter in the history of America. I will stand by him because I know the Lord is standing by me and wants me to build my family through adoption and is making it possible for me to do so.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I completely agree with you. I don't care if a person is gay or wants to get married. But, I hate that advertisements for No on Prop 8 claim discrimination on gay marriage, but they don't look at the other point of view that it's just as discriminatory if they do allow same-sex marriage.

Kirsten Krason said...

So much controversy surrounding this subject! You bring up some good points that no one has thought of. Thanks! And yay for Prop 8 passing!

Mike and Holly said...

Aranne,
Well said! Your points about adoption are so important to make and so little understood. Good job!

Lina said...

I didn't know it affected you through a religious adoption centre? It seems weird it would inpact on adoption centres, wheater it's religious ones or not.

JANEAL said...

I'm so glad proposition 8 passed!