Friday, April 25, 2008

BOOK CLUB MEETING: To Kill a Mockingbird

Let the meeting begin:

I picked up the book and basically couldn't put it down. I know that I had read it before but it had been a LONG TIME AGO. The names all sounded familiar to me but I honestly couldn't tell you what was going to happen in the end.

I really enjoyed reading this book and connected with different characters at different times. At first I enjoyed feeling a part of the Scout and Jem's childhood. The easiness of the summers and their wild imaginations. I could relate to being the younger sister and tagging along. By the end of the book I was pulled towards Boo Radley and the desire to not have to deal with the "real world" and to just help out when I can and to make other's lives better but to sort of be left alone and go about my business. That is me at times as well. I also was very proud of Atticus and what he stood for. I wonder if I would have been able to stand up for what I believed in and done the same thing??? He was a very courageous and honorable man, especially in his situation and in his time.

Overall I really liked the book and I am sure that I got much more from it this second time around. I don't know that I fully was able to appreciate it the first time that I read it and wonder what I really thought about it when I read it at maybe only about 5th grade or so....

Thanks again to Marathon Bird for hosting the Book Club and for choosing such a great book. I can't wait to see what is up next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I can relate to what you are saying here: "By the end of the book I was pulled towards Boo Radley and the desire to not have to deal with the "real world" and to just help out when I can and to make other's lives better but to sort of be left alone and go about my business. That is me at times as well."

This is why I relate to Boo, as well. Also that I have very fair skin and I am sensitive to light and everything else. How much of his sensitivity do you think develops before he became reclusive and that is why he retreated? Or did that sensitivity develop as a result of he stayed away from the outside?

Holly said...

I agree, as the story moves along and Jem and Scout grew up my feelings about them changed a bit. Atticus was such a fine role model as a father and as a man.

It was interesting once Scout discovered the view from Boo Radley's front porch, wasn't it? I could relate to him as well.

Good thoughts Aranne! I'm glad you are a part of the BBBC. I will post about the next selection soon.

Lacie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I too was unable to put the book down! I loved the easiness of the read but the deep lessons that were there throughout the book.

It made me think of how simple our lives were we when "knew" nothing. But as we grow older and we are exposed to world (good and bad)around us things aren't as simple anymore!

I agree, Atticus was a wonderful man, role model, and father. He kept his emotins in check while trying to hold the weight of his children's lives and the live's of the town's on his shoulders- very strong individual!

KJ said...

such a wonderful book. It makes me very emotional. But someday I would like to have a bull terrier named "Scout"