Monday, March 3, 2008

DVT Awareness

I stumbled upon this blog a few weeks ago and knew that once March came along I would have to share it. Make sure you read the story they wrote about Natalie. It is the very first post they did, that is where you will understand what happened and get the background.

March is a lot of things but it also happens to be DVT Awareness Month which stands for Deep Vein Thrombosis. This sounds non-important to most of us and a lot of people don't even know what it is. It is basically blood clots in the deep veins of your legs. (Go to the site and they explain it a lot better though).

After I read the story I was so touched and had such a deep compassion for this family. I also have a friend who is only a year older than me who has been hospitalized twice for this very thing. It is eye-opening and brings you to reality that really anything can happen to anyone and we need to be thankful for everyday that we have. Now I am not saying that we are all going to suddenly get a DVT but I am saying that it could happen to anyone and you never know. Just visit this site and read and you will be touched I am sure.

1 comment:

Maile said...

Thanks for posting that - it was a touching, sad story. I've had a deep vein blood clot before, and it is pretty scary. Injections, drugs, and complete bed rest. I can't imagine doing that while taking care of a little kid. Anyway, it's definitely something to take seriously.