Tuesday, October 7, 2008

SPT - My 100 things #7

# 7 - My best friend lives in the UK



My best friend's name is Lina and we met in 1993 when I was only 12! At the time she lived in Sweden and had come over to watch her older sister graduate from high school here in America. Her sister had just spent a year living with my family as a foreign exchange student. That was the start of a very long friendship and a lot of crazy mischief....

After the two weeks she spent here with her family we wrote letters back and forth and stayed in touch. Two summers later she came and spent the summer with me and we had a great time. Then and there we decided that she had to come and spend a year with us like her older sister did, living and going to school here. After lots of hard work, paperwork and talking our parents into it, our plan finally worked. During the school year of 1996-1997 she came. It was a great year. We did everything together. We had separate rooms but didn't really need them because it was like a sleepover every night. It was the hardest thing to have to say goodbye and watch her get on that plane to go back home.

The next year I graduated and for my graduation gift I was able to go to Sweden to spend some time with her. It was a great time in that I was able to see her and also see her older sister once again and her parents.

We then didn't see each other for quite a long time and have had to keep up our friendship through emails (thank goodness for the computer). But then we got a call from her sister saying that she was getting married. What an opportunity! My whole family decided it was a great excuse and we all made the trip. This was in 2004, and this time I was able to take my husband. Then in the summer of 2007 she came to visit with her new boyfriend who she had met through work who lives in the UK and we had a great visit. She proceeded to tell me that she was moving out of Sweden and going to live in the UK. How weird? She was always my friend who lived in Sweden. Still a crazy thing for me to get use to.

Well a few weeks ago she called and told me they were getting married next September! So now I will be saving money and next year my whole family once again will be making a trip to visit but this time we are off to the UK.

It is so great to have such a wonderful friend and one that no matter how much time has passed we can always pick up right where we left off. It also doesn't matter the distant we understand each other and are there for each other. She is truly like a sister to me. We have spent most of our relationship apart and that is just how it is. We cherish the time we are able to spend with one another and I guess that makes us more appreciate of one another in a way. Can't wait to see her in 9/09!!!!

19 comments:

Rebecca and Co. said...

How nice to have a friend like Lina! It sounds she is really special. What a great reason to visit the UK in Steptember!

I also enjoyed Conference, here at home. Were there a lot of people at the Stake center?

Rebekah said...

i've always wanted a foreign friend. maybe that sounds shallow, but it's true.

Janiece said...

stopping in from SPT.
I love your site. It is wonderful and has such a sweet feeling about it.
I also enjoyed your post. I am terrible at keeping friends, if they move across state I hardly keep in touch. You show what true friendship is all about.

Unknown said...

i love your story. we had an exchange student from germany when i was in high school. not so many great memories, unfortunately.

however, i have made a great friend in the UK through blogging!!

Sarah said...

It is the best to have a friend that no matter how long you go without seeing each other, you can pick up just where you left off.

Missy said...

sounds like such good times with a great friend!

good luck with your adoption journey. I admire you for that! :o)

Rachael said...

How great to have that friendship! I wish I had a friend somewhere far off so I could have an excuse to go visit them!

Kirsten Krason said...

She is so pretty. What about your friend that lives in Utah. that's pretty cool too. :)

Positively Creative! said...

Hi, got your comment. I cut my ribbon about 6 inches and about 40 strips, lay them on top of eachother but but kind of crossed then tie another piece of ribbon in the middle in a knot. You'll have to mess with it a few times and also tie two ribbons into knots several times to give it a fuller look, then just hot glue on to your pen. simple and fun! Hope this helps ya!

Jeanette said...

Aren't best friends the greatest! How wonderful that you have kept in touch all of these years.

Holly said...

I'd love to visit Sweden (or any part of Europe) someday. It's great you will see her soon--and that y'all stay in touch across the ocean.

Michelle Alley said...

Such a cute photo of you and your best friend! I love that despite your distance you're as close as ever. I've meant to visit your blog many times and wanted to thank you for your past comments. I love your blog and hope I can visit often!
Love, Michelle :)

The Monkeys said...

You are so much better at the keeping a friend thing. I am a military brat and just kind of loose touch easily. I guess it is a coping thing. That's great that you all save up to go and see them on their weddings, etc. And what a great excuse to travel!

Dacia said...

I have a best friend in Japan. I haven't seen her in forever though and I don't think that I could afford to go there. That's so great that you two are such great friends. I just love true friends.

Lina said...

I cannot WAIT to have you over next year!!! It will be so much fun! Love you lots and lots!

mommy nurse said...

What a great story. It sounds like you would be a great friend to have no matter were you live!

MaryRC said...

nothing like a best friend. all of my best friendships are effortless. that makes the difference for me. love your history together.

Cecilia said...

How nice to have such a good friend!
PS-thanks for visiting my blog today, I love meeting new friends :)

Head Over Hills said...

That is so incredible that you have a friend like that. What a blessing. How exciting to be planning a trip to see her! It makes me want to be a better friend to others :)