Tuesday, October 28, 2008

SPT: 100 Things #28

#28: I love to Snowboard

I do love to snowboard. I am not very good at it, but it is something that Dan and I have found that we can do together and that we enjoy and that makes it even better. We took our very first lesson in 2005 and then bought our gear in 2006 and have been going ever since.

I told him that I wanted to try it out but that I had to have a lesson. I am the kind of person that gets frustrated very easily if I don't know how to do something and especially if everyone else does. I knew that he would be able to pick it up and that I would have a harder time so if I didn't get a lesson and at least have some idea of what I was SUPPOSE to be doing that I would get angry and give up. So we took the lesson together, got the basics down and then were on our own. I was pretty proud of myself for sticking with it and giving it a go. I was not fabulous by any means (and still am not) but went back the next day for more. Dan has gotten pretty good and attempts jumps and turns, while I on the other hand feel like I have had a successful day if I go up and down the mountain without having a horrible spill. We have Mt. Charleston close by so that is where we go most often. It does not have the best snow but it is close and that makes it nice. We have been to Big Bear in California and that makes a fun trip, and we have also been to BrianHead in Utah and so far that is our favorite. We will see what this season brings us!

I am still not a huge fan of the chairlifts. In fact I HATE them. I nearly panic when it is my turn to get off but I know there is no other way to get to the top of the mountain. I fell one time pretty bad (my jacket got caught somehow and nearly ripped my arm off) and now I am pretty scared of them! But snowboarding is a great activity and so much fun for us to go and enjoy the outdoors and the time together. We are for sure not the best ones on the mountain and got started a little late in life, but it shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks and they can still have fun!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

good for you! i tend to shy away from things that i don't think i'll be good at.

your post is making me wish we had snowy mountains around here!

Jeanette said...

I hate chairlifts they are so scary! That's great that you found something new that you love. I think I need to do that.

Kirsten Krason said...

I used to be good at it and now I am horrible. I am glad you enjoy it though. We should trade states for the summer.

Cecilia said...

Sounds fun! Can you believe I've never been snowboarding. Your post makes me want to try it this winter :)

The Monkeys said...

the chairlifts scare me too. Good for you for learning something new. I love learning new stuff all the time, too. Winter sports aren't quite my thing though. Too cold.

Lina said...

I can't snowboard at all, I stick my normal skiis instead. The thought is that me and Gary are going to go skiing sometime soon, he's never done it so it might be quite funny!! :-)

Dacia said...

I've never been snowboarding or skiing. That's awesome that you know how. I'm sure it's a blast!

Sarah said...

The last time I went snowboarding was on my honeymoon 9 years ago. I was not good then, so I am sure I wouldn't be now. However, last winter I had an itch to go again. Maybe this year. Good for you for trying something new!

Rebecca and Co. said...

I'm a lot like you when it comes to trying something new. I like to study it out, practice by myself (or at a lesson), and THEN take it out in public. :)

I've never heard anyone express fear of the chair lift and guess what....I thought I was the only one!!! The thought terrifies me!