Monday, December 10, 2007

A Fond Farewell

This weekend was my grandma's funeral in California and I didn't know what to expect. We headed over there on Wednesday night and had to be at the mortuary on Thursday morning. That was not too bad since I didn't go inside at all. We then did the processional over to the church.



These are some of the beautiful flowers that were at the church. The church service was hard but also really nice. I did not go inside and sit and listen to it because I knew that I couldn't, but I did hear most of it from out in the foyer (that was hard enough for me). This church service was the most important part for grandma. She had her favorite hymns sung and her favorite scriptures read.



On Friday we drove out to Riverside National Cemetery were she was buried right with my grandpa. That service was short and sweet. It was also kinda nice because we got there early and were able to drive by and actually see my grandpa's headstone which I had never seen and see where my grandma will be buried. The weather made us all a little nervous, teasing rain, but it never fell while we were standing outside and that was wonderful.



We said our final goodbyes and then went to place her with grandpa where she belongs and where she was longing to be. I know that she is gone but it has still not completely sunk in; I think partly because after the church service we went back to her house and were all there together. I guess I just kept thinking she would come around the corner or something. I think it will just take a little more time and the house being gone before I really feel it sink in for me.



She was a wonderful lady; a great grandmother, grandmother, wife, mom, sister, friend, aunt, and daughter. But I guess the most important thing to me is that she was just someone who cared.

ALICE LENHARDT...SEPTEMBER 1925 - DECEMBER 2007....WE LOVE YOU

3 comments:

Kirsten Krason said...

Wow it is hard to read this without crying. Especially with this cute song playing. I am so sorry. I miss my grandma and it's hard around Christmas. My friends' grandma just died yesterday. So now they can all be friends in heaven.

Aranne and Dan said...

that is sweet. it actually made me laugh... I am sure they will be friends. My grandma made friends with everyone she met.

Anonymous said...

You've brought tears to my eyes again -