Monday, November 16, 2009

The WHOLE story

I know people have been waiting to hear the WHOLE story about Blake but honestly there really isn't a lot of story to tell... We had exactly 26 hours to get ourselves ready! Yeah... pretty scary right?!

So... there is a little bit of background so here we go.

Most of you know we have been waiting for a while now on this crazy journey of adoption but how long... We had a few meetings and things with LDS Family Services but we were "officially" an approved couple since 9/20/07... yeah, it had been a long wait. We honestly didn't really have a lot of things happen during the two years. Some people have "close calls", some people have contact with multiple birth mothers, some have failed placements, we didn't have any of the above. I am actually glad that we didn't. I know that the waiting was hard but I am not sure that I would have been able to handle a failed placement or thinking that each time I was contacted by a birth mother that "this time it was going to happen". So I liked the idea that "no news was good news', even though two years of silence was awfully hard to take.

So... fast forward and here we are on Saturday, November 7th. I am at Super Saturday at the church and Dan is at a service project with church as well. Dan's elder's quorum president gets a call from his wife who happens to be a nurse in the NICU. She is asking us for our caseworkers phone number. Some might see this as a total sign, but she has done this before and nothing has happened. We have also known of other babies that have been born before and nothing has happened. And, after being around for two years we don't really expect much. Not that we had lost hope... but we just didn't think that every time we heard of a baby automatically assumed it was OUR baby! So... Dan gave her the number and that was all.

Sunday was our big adoption/foster care fireside. We headed to the chapel and our caseworker Brad was there. We held the fireside and everything was very normal. We did speak with him and did mention the little baby that was born on "Saturday". We were just checking to make sure he had made contact and that everything was okay. He said he had contacted the social worker at the hospital and he even showed us a picture of a new little baby boy and said there was going to be a placement on Tuesday. But... he also said he was going to be leaving early in the morning to head to Kansas City. As he left the building he said he would "be in touch". None of this was out of the ordinary because after all we are the FSA Co-chairs and it is National Adoption Month and we are in touch with Brad a lot and we have another big activity on the 21st of the month.

So... I didn't sleep very well Sunday night because I just couldn't get this little guy out of my head. I didn't look at his picture that Brad tried to show us because I was too scared. I didn't want to see him and fall in love and then not get a call, but something kept me up all night thinking... "what if that is our son?"

Monday... Dan went to work as normal. I got up and started my day as normal. 11:00am came and everything changed. Rick Perry the agency director called. He started talking about the fireside the night before but I knew there had to be another reason he was calling. He then started talking about a little baby that was born on Friday. He then said that Brad had left word that they should call us and that this baby should be placed with our family if we so desired. WHAT? Could this really be happening? Rick is no longer working on the adoption side of things so really didn't have much more information. He honestly didn't even know if is was a boy or a girl and I didn't know if I was suppose to say... so I didn't! He said he would find out more information and have RoseMay call me back. She was the social worker who had talked with the birth mother.

We hung up... I of course called Dan and told him what had happened. A few minutes later RoseMay called me and gave me more information about the baby. She told me a little baby boy had been born on Friday and was already released from the hospital. She said he was healthy and just waiting for a family. She said she too didn't have a ton of information but did provide some additional help and answered questions for me. She told me we had to give her an decision by 2:00pm and if our answer was "yes" we would be picking him up at the LDS Family Services office the next day at 1:00pm.

I then called Dan back, relayed the info she had given me... and took only a few seconds to know this was to be our son. We called her back and made the arrangements to go and pick him up the very next day.

That night was a whirlwind. We had nothing. We had to go out and buy a few little things, but I didn't want to go overboard. I was still skeptical. I wanted to be sure I had that little guy in my arms before I told anyone and before I had too many things. I wanted to know this was real.

Tuesday, November 10th at 1:00pm we walked into the LDS Family Services office as Dan and Aranne and by 2:00pm we walked out a family of three! Adoption is amazing and the Lord has His hand in all steps. We are so excited and so thankful for our friends and family and their love and support for us over the past two years and especially right now. Our hearts are full!


19 comments:

The Hardy's said...

I can't help but get really teary eyed when I read all about this last weeks events for your family. The Lord definitely has a hand in all things and knows all that we need.

We love you and are so happy you now have a little son.

Lina said...

Man I'm crying my eyes out over here, I've been wanting to hear this story since last week!!!!! I'm so happy for you, bouncing off the walls with excitement! Love you! XX

Rebecca and Co. said...

That is wonderful! I totally understand your skepticism, LOL. But here he is, and we couldn't be happier for you all. The YW asked about you and the baby during opening exercises!

Kirsten Krason said...

I too cried. I am so so so happy for you. You have a son!!!

Rachel McEwen said...

I too got teary eyed, it truly is amazing and am just so happy for your little family!

Heidi said...

We're so excited (still) for you guys. It's amazing how things fall into place when the baby is "yours." The Lord truly does fulfill his promises! Thanks for all of your hard work with FSA.

Hanna said...

Finally! I've been longingto hear this story for several days! I'm all crying now, I'm so happy for you!
Love you! xx

The Wilker Family said...

Thanks for telling the whole story!! We seriously are still so excited and happy for you guys! You are a beautiful family!

Lisa said...

Man, now I have to go re-do my makeup! My heart is beating so fast. Thanks for the whole story. We love adoption stories! You can certainly tell that the Lord had a plan for you. I knew he did! You make a darling family!

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

This is so wonderful! He is beautiful! Congratulations!

Mike and Holly said...

We teared up here as we read this! We know he is yours, but to see him in your arms at your house on your couch... WOW!!! It is just that much more real. All our prayers were answered in this little one. We can't wait to meet him ourselves! Love you all!!!!

jojomynx said...

Yay! Thank you so much for sharing this. It warms my heart so much to hear it. Congratulations! Welcome to the sleepless world of parenthood!

{B}dreamy said...

I just get so happy when I think of you and your perfect little family :) Congrats again! *B

Suzee said...

I know how long you've waited for this. I get bits and pieces from Holly every now and then. She called me this week to reschedule her appt and told me the exciting news! Had goosebumps and tears as I drove down the road. So happy for all 3 of you!

C.A.L.L.L.L. said...

Congratulations! I am as happy for you as I was when I had my own children. You are in for a big adventure.

Wendy and Rick said...

Oh my gosh!!!I found out today about the adoption when I was reading your comment to Danielle about her baby!!!I can't believe it I am so excited for you guys. I was just talking to Ricky about it the other day. I am so happy for you and your little family. Are you having a baby shower?

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I am so happy for you and your family!

Jill said...

I am so so so excited for you guys. Congrats! What a beautiful blessing, and how fun for the holidays. Enjoy that little bundle of joy. Definitely worth the wait, right!? CONGRATS!!!

Amanda said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you guys! We just adopted through Foster Care. It is so nice to have an addition to our family! It's good to see things moving in the adoption world.