Sunday, May 13, 2012

On Being a Mother

Mother's Day....


This day has such mixed emotions for me. For years I HATED this day. I would dream of this children I hoped would fill my home but my home was empty. I would get packages in the mail and cards that wished me a Happy Mother's Day...yet I was NOT a Mother. I would loathe going to church where I would get a candy bar wishing me a Happy Mother's Day...and again I was NOT a Mother. 


Today I have a different attitude. I sit today with toys filling my home, laughter heard throughout my house and I am thankful. Thankful that I am a Mother. Thankful for the two birthmoms that made me a Mother. Thankful for my two beautiful children who help be to become a better Mother everyday. Thankful for adoption and the chance that if gave me to be a Mother. 


I am also thankful for the years that I wasn't a Mother and the chance that I had to help "mother" many other young lives and that I can look back now and see that I did have that opportunity and how precious that is. I now know that no matter our circumstances we, as women, can "mother" know matter what our own personal circumstances may be. I am thankful for the chance that I had to be a primary teacher to many little ones. I am thankful for the chance that I had to be a Mia Maid leader and to work in Young Womens. I am thankful for the opportunity I had to work in the Camp program and be a Camp Director and work with so many wonderful young girls with that calling. I may not have touched each young life but they touched mine and taught me so many things... they taught me how to "mother" and for that I am eternally grateful. 


Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Janell said...

Beautiful picture of you and the kids

Rebecca and Co. said...

Well said, Aranne. Motherhood is an eternal calling but it's hard to feel included all those years when you want, but don't have, a child. I'm so glad you had a great Mother's Day and that you get to be a mom to two beautiful children!

Btw, Mary thinks that Blake is the spitting image of Harrison when Harrison was a toddler! She can't get over how cute Blake is...she's probably missing the days when her own little brother was more adorable than pesky. :)